20+ Years Experience
- + Over 20 years of experience in private and public sector forestry
- + Experienced with public relations and media (print, online, television and radio)
- + Experienced in forestry-related education for both children and adults, up to the university level
- + Experienced with fire and medical emergency response (all-risk)
- +Extensive work with California environmental Regulations and Regulatory Compliance
- +Experience with CEQA projects undergoing legal challenges
- +Systems thinking, troubleshooting and process optimization
- +Training and procedure development experience
- +Experience in the writing/publishing world
Skills and Qualities
- *Assisting parties in reaching agreements and finding common ground
- *Solving novel problems in creative ways
- *Using pattern recognition to apply known solutions to new problems
- *Skilled troubleshooter
- *Lifelong learner and teacher
Awards and Achievements
- *California Registered Professional Forester #2759
- *ASPCA Firefighter of the Year 2008
- *Published Author
1999Humboldt State University
BS Forestry, Minor in Computer Information Services
Degree focus on forest management and information systems.
2010 - CurrentCalifornia Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Forester II - Review Team Chair
- Reviewed proposed harvesting plans for conformance with state and federal regulations; coordinated with other state and federal agencies to facilitate complete environmental review.
- Reviewed reports from field CAL FIRE inspectors, state, and federal agencies as part of the environmental review process.
- Communicated, both verbally and in writing, with the general public about forestry regulations and timber harvesting processes in order to ensure transparency.
- Assisted with the development of Administrative Records for legal actions against the Department, including consultation with Attorney Generals office for the preparation of legal briefs and responses for court as a forestry expert.
- Supervised Forester I performing same duties as performed under last position.
- Active participant in department policy revision project.
- All tasks associated with Forester I
2007 - 2010California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Forester I - Assistant Review Team Chair
- Conducted first review of Timber Harvest Plans and Nonindustrial Timber Management Plans to determine compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Developed official responses to public concerns regarding harvest plans.
- Attended preharvest inspections and prepared reports on findings.
- Assisted with special projects including review team newsletter, revision of office procedures and statewide forester recruitment flyer.
- Filled in as review team chair when needed.
2005 - 2007CA Forest Products Commission (CFPC) & The Forest Foundation (TFF)
Director of Forestry
Provided technical consultation and project management support to the CFPC/TFF on a variety of important programs including:
- Assisted with development and demonstration of the Visual Forester simulation program to students, industry and the general public.
- Conducted internal forestry-related research, data compilation and technical support for ongoing communication, education and marketing activities of the CFPC/TFF.
- Managed the CFPC/TFF website providing updates, maintenance, editorial and infrastructure development.
- Acted as liaison with private industry, consulting and public agency foresters, biologists and other resource specialists on collaborative projects.
- Participated as a member of the CFPC/TFF speakers bureau.
- Facilitated CFPC/TFF forest tours, group presentations, conferences and other educational events.
2005 - 2007Kent and Associates
Participated in development of timber management plans including:
- Growth and yield
- Financial appraisal
- THP development
- Project scoping
1999 - 2004Alpine Land Information Services Incorporated
Sustained Yield Forester, Director of Marketing and Sales
- Supervised development of ownership-wide and district level sustained yield analysis for large industrial landowners, with individual assessment areas from 65,000 to 150,000 acres.
- Assisted in Geographic Information System (GIS) development for long-term, sustained yield planning areas involving strategic level decisions; optimizing landscapes to balance growth and yield over time.
- Executed daily operations of the growth and yield planning department, preparing a variety of analyses related to timber yield, growth, and long-term sustainability.
- Mapped client ownership using GIS software; estimated standing timber and future growth using a variety of team-developed custom applications.
- Directed company sales and marketing through conferences, presentations, website production and networking.
- Instrumental in the development and unveiling of Visual Forester in the Classroom; a first-generation forest management simulator that included educational and training curriculum for school-based implementation.
- Guest instructed at Humboldt State University for three semesters, teaching the growth and yield modeling portion of Forest Management and Decision Making, an upper division forestry course.